Phlebotomy Training is extremely important when it comes to learning certain medical practices and procedures, which pave the way for further diagnosis of health issues. It is a medical procedure that can that can assist in treating health conditions as well. However, before we go on and discuss about phlebotomy training programs, it would be a good idea to crack the puzzle like name.
Phlebotomy is the medical term that is used to describe the procedure involved in collecting blood from a patient’s body. In layman’s terms, this word is used to describe the incision of veins in order to collect blood from a patient’s body.
The Purpose of Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy is used in multiple circumstances which have been briefly described below:
- To collect blood for diagnosis: This procedure is used in order to collect blood to be used for diagnosis of any health issues. This is quite important because the blood sample can be used to identify any specific health concerns that could be undetected otherwise. It also helps to measure the health condition of the patient in a lot of situations.
- For blood transfusion: Phlebotomy is essential in case of blood transfusion process between the donor and receiver.
- Treatment of blood related health concerns: This procedure is also used in order to have blood removed from the patient’s body as a method of curing certain medical conditions. Hemochromatosis, iron toxicity and polycythemia vera are certain medical conditions which can be treated using this method.
How to be a certified phlebotomist: In order to be a certified phlebotomist, you need to have completed a certification program which trains them in this procedure. If you are interested in a career option in this area, you can choose to go through a traditional class room training or an online training program. An online training program would ensure that you can complete the training at the pace you set for yourself.
What are the topics covered in the training programs: In order to be trained as a phlebotomist, it is essential that you have the basic understanding about human anatomy, basic safety measures and legal concerns that may come up. A good online training program should have the following components looked into in detail:
- Medical terminology: Since phlebotomists work in places such as clinics, hospitals or other medical facilities. Since phlebotomists would be working closely with doctors, they are expected to have a basic understanding of medical terms.
- Human anatomy: As the name suggests, this procedure involves drawing blood from the patient’s body. In order to be able to do this, you are expected to have an understanding of the human anatomy and nervous system.
- Knowledge about blood types, infections control and legal issues: Students pursuing this course will be taken through detailed sessions about blood, how to avoid any infections from cropping up and ensuring legal issues are addressed effectively. These topics would be essential components of the course.
- Procedures used to collect blood: The course would provide in depth knowledge about the different procedures that are used to collect blood from the patient’s body.
- Therapeutic communication skills: Phlebotomists would work with patients who would range from six to sixty years. Many of these patients might not be comfortable with having blood drawn. One of the important components of the course would be to have soothing communication skills which will help the patients relax.
In addition to theoretical classes, the students would also be expected to spend time on practicing blood sampling and might require completing an training sessions.